During the last couple of weeks we have had some excessive rain, and tornados. I am happy to report that no water came into the home and the implemented drainage solution worked like a charm!
If you read some of the issues we encountered when we started this project, the drainage was a significant problem . This was first and foremost on our list as if this could not be repaired, we were in big trouble, or I was. Nothing else could be done to improve the home if water was going to make its way into the home.
A lot has changed since 1957! When this house was constructed, I am sure the streets were lower, less concrete was around, and well, just different! I mean, considering this house had a fall out shelter, you can say things were very different. In other words, it wasn’t that the house was bad – it was that the house had not changed with the times. So you have two choices; tear it down, or fix the water issue. It would be really hard for me to tear down a house – I am too much of an optimistic person, or maybe just have a insane obsession with physical exhaustion.
So back to my project. We hired a concrete contractor to grade the yard, and resolve the drainage around the home. The home sat so low that the vinyl siding I HAD NOT ANTICIPATED REPLACING was actually underground. So it quickly became obvious that the siding was coming off. It was sort of like that annoying thread hanging on your sweater; you tug and before you know it, you are naked.
You can see where the driveway was once even with the house – we had to put in steps in order to not have such a steep drop off! In addition, we had a French drain put in, going into the side of the concrete and redirecting the water that would come into the new concrete to the street where it should have gone all along.
Because I never just do anything half way – which is not such a positive attribute when we are discussing financial matters, I decided that the foundation could use some leveling and height, so after receiving approval from our foundation expert, I brought in 3-5″ to the existing slab to ensure we would never have water in this home again! Besides that, I had already had the holes where the plumbing had to be replaced in the slab, so it only made sense to take care of all of it at the same time.
Once the concrete was poured, it started to look like a realistic home. But, we were still no where near where I had planned to be in budget or time.
More photos of this phase …